Great resource for outsourcing employers and/or workers looking for freelance projects worldwide!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

2010 Taylormade Supertri FCT sleeves (Fakes, refurbished vs Genuine)

So, I wrote articles to spot fake FCT sleeves for the older FCT sleeves. Now that there's a newer more sophisticated FCT sleeve for the 2010 Supertri, the fakes are out.
Well, I have in my hands a fake and a refurbished. After taking some time to compare, I've made some findings....we shall compare the Fakes, Refurbished versus the Genuines.

By 'refurbished' ....let me explain what I mean. These are the FCT sleeves that are made of the same mould taken from the Taylormade factory. They are produced outside with that same mould. These FCT sleeves are better than the fakes, because they are adjustable....BUT are they done up to the exact specs? We would not know for sure, as long as the words (L, R, N, NU) are printed slightly off...even 0.01 degrees off, the angles that we play on our drivers will all be messed up some way or another. Some people may not mind....the Refurbished sleeves are much cheaper than the Genuine ones....but then some people are selling refurbished sleeves as genuines, and people buy them without knowing, afterall they look so similar. Pictures says a thousand words:

(Do not worry if you find the pictures too small. At the end of this page I will put up a link where you can view the big pictures)


So, we will be comparing 3 kinds of 2010 FCT sleeves here:
1) Genuine - 100% Taylormade (same as those installed on your Taylormade clubs)
2) Refurbished (made from the same mould, adjustable but may not be accurate)
3) Fakes (just replicas, not adjustable at all. Straight bore all the way)

Photobucket
We can see from the above picture, the 3 kinds of sleeves. Refurbished and genuine sleeves have tilt (which means they're adjustable)....the fake one is kinda straight. Also notice the very obvious difference in teeth groove on the fake (boxed in yellow)


Photobucket
Putting the refurbished and genuine sleeve side by side, its hard to tell any difference right?
Well I had the 2 in my hands and when I looked at it, the refurbished sleeve is one tone slightly brighter. However, this difference in color is NOT easy to tell. It really is very very close!


Photobucket
I noticed that on the refurbished sleeve, the line goes down way more than the genuine. Again, very close! Another picture below:
Photobucket

Photobucket




Photobucket
The fake sleeve are easy to tell by the teeth groove, also the hole for the screw to lock is red (for the fake). Pictured below:
Photobucket




Photobucket
I think this would be my pick for 'how to easily tell refurbished from genuines'. On the black part where the R, L, N, NU words are, you should see horizontal fine lines across....almost like fine laser machine prints. I looked through the refurbished one under the magnifying glass...it does not have it.


Photobucket
I notice that the paint tend to 'spill over' near the screw hole too.


Photobucket
Another look at the difference in length of the lines. Left is genuine, right is refurbished.




Photobucket
The R is different (font)...very close again. The gap for the genuine one is much smaller.




So, refurbished sleeves are adjustable, and 99.9% of buyers will not be able to tell them apart. Well the question is, how accurate are they made? Like I said, as long as the L, R, N and NU are printed slightly off, even 0.01 degrees off.....it changes everything.

I hope this helps.
Some may ask why on earth do I spend time doing this? Well, the answer is simple. I get questions everyday from buyers comparing me with other sellers on eBay. They say that my price is expensive - compared to the rest out there. People need to know you get what you pay for. Well especially now, when there is such a thing as 'refurbished sleeves'...well I am not sure if refurbished is the right word.....my vocab book is not working right now....haha, 5AM and I am writing this....brain freeze. If you guys can think of the right word, let me know.

Oh by the way, I only sell genuine sleeves. I am in no way tempted to go the refurbished route, although I can make more profits. LOL. Its hard to build a reputation, and harder to keep it clean. I won't risk it.


LINK to enjoy bigger pictures:
(click on these small pictures to enlarge. It will take you to photobucket website to view the pictures. Over there, you can click on the picture again for extra zoom)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. I received a taylormade tp sleeve with a shaft i bought. The tip on the shaft is .335 but i noticed I could put a .350 shaft into the sleeve. I was told by someone that you have to shim the sleeve. Do you know if this is true or is this sleeve for a .350 shaft? Thanks for the article it was a big help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a bit weird, because .335 sleeves will hold the .335 tip shafts like a glove, and .350 sleeves will hold .350 tip shafts like a glove.
    I suspect u received a .350 tip sleeve......theres no need to shim a .335 tip if it is a .335 sleeve.
    Does your sleeve have a TP marking on it? That symbolizes .335 sleeves

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, It has the TP marking on it. Everything on it looks to be genuine. The other thing is I have a line under the R. Is this normal? Thank you very much for your help.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  4. R is tour issue sleeve
    but it should not be .350...tour issue is .335 only. I guess maybe that sleeve is a little too loose?
    Put it on a flat surface pointed up, does the sleeve look slanted or straight?
    R is the most adjustable tour issue sleeve and its damn slanted...not straight when u hold it up Vertically

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, It is slanted. But it fits the .350 shaft like a glove. I'm afraid to shim it on the .335.
    Thanks again
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a R11 and am a lefty and want to put my Diamana shaft on a .335 sleeve but want to keep the factory shaft intact. Do they come in left and right hand versions and where can I find same?

    ReplyDelete
  7. for supertri its 1 version for LH and RH
    Only the R11 comes with seperate sleeves for LH and RH

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your article is great. I was ripped off by a web site that I later found out was in China. I bought a TM R 9 Supertri from them. When I tried to tighten the screw down after making a draw adjustment, the screw snapped in half. It was supposed to snap in place. I took it to Golf Galaxy to get it repaired, thinking I did something wrong. The Pro there told me that sleeve was fake. That is why it broke. Now, I am having a hell of a time trying to get my refund from this scam company (BuyGolfSets.Com).It is a real nightmere. Your comparisons clearly show the difference, especially with the fake ones. Mine is absolutely a fake. I am not going to give up fighting this rip off company.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments and I will try my best to respond ASAP.